5 Tips to Shop Ethical this Holiday Season
The holidays are right around the corner, which means gift shopping is on the top of everyone's to-do list. This year we invite you to take a moment to think about what you’re buying and how it affects our world and the people in it. We've put together 5 tips that will help you buy your loved ones gifts that give back.
1. Educate yourself. Read the tag, ask questions, and do your research. Choose to shop with retailers who provided fair, empowering, and humane conditions for their factory workers. There's a growing number of ethical fashion sources that can guide you to companies who care. Here is one of our favorites: Ecouterre
2. Quality over quantity. Remember that it's the thought that counts, not the number of presents under your tree. It’s better to invest in one ethical piece that will last years, than a cart full of pieces that will get tossed in a landfill after one season. After all, the average American throws away over 68 pounds of textiles per year!
3. Have fun with it! Make a pact with a friend or family member to only exchange ethical gifts this year. See what kind of beautiful pieces you can find, and share touching stories about how your gift changed the life of the person who made it. Heshima Kenya is a perfect example of how one gift can make a lasting difference on the living conditions of women in Kenya.
4. Shop local! Shopping local means choosing locally made products and supporting locally owned businesses. There are excellent environmental and social benefits that go with this. These benefits may include highly regulated manufacturing standards for factory workers; a decrease in travel time of the product, which reduces the carbon footprint; and an increase in the economic growth of your community.
5. Go vintage! Give a one-of-a-kind gift this year by finding the diamond in the rough at your favorite vintage shop. Finding that perfect piece can take some time and creativity, but the best part of the hunt is the reward. Once you see the look on your loved one’s face and know that your gift help to keep the world a greener place, it will all be worth it.
NOVAA loves to spread ethical holiday cheer and so should you. Education is the first step to making a change. Share with your friends and family the story that your ethical gift tells and rejoice because that story has a happy ending. Doing good feels good to everyone involved!
with peace and love,